Here is a sample of the photos and articles appearing in this week’s St. Tammany Farmer. For the full edition, including local news, sports and events, purchase a copy at one of our retail locations, or start a subscription and receive The Farmer weekly by mail.
Elections are this Saturday in Covington, Sun and Slidell
Voters in Covington, Sun and Slidell will go to the polls this Saturday, March 28, for elections in their respective municipalities. Polls open at 7 a.m. and close at 8 p.m….
Helis gets water certification for exploratory drilling project
The proposal by Helis Oil & Gas, LLC, to drill an exploratory oil and gas well on a 960-acre tract north of Interstate 12 and east of Louisiana 1088 moved a step forward last week when the company was given a water quality certification by the Louisiana Department of Environmental Quality (LDEQ)….
LABI president lays out business priorities, challenges for leaders
Louisiana’s largest business organization has a three-pronged plan to grow the state’s economy, but reforms are needed before the plan’s goals can be fully realized, Louisiana Association of Business and Industry (LABI) President Stephen Waguespack told members of the St. Tammany West Chamber of Commerce and East St. Tammany Chamber of Commerce at a joint March 18 luncheon at Benedict’s Plantation in Mandeville….
Positive audit may mean tax relief for Mandeville property owners
The city of Mandeville is in sound financial shape and has received a “clean” audit report from Postlethwaite & Netterville….
Collins, Peter Atkins projects underway in Covington
Work is underway in Covington to provide some relief for heavy traffic on Collins Boulevard, and work will begin soon on the long-awaited roof over the basketball courts at Rev. Peter Atkins Park, with a groundbreaking ceremony for the project set tentatively for Thursday, April 2….
Covington second, SPS third at state powerlifting
Several local powerlifters fared well at the state meet held March 20-21 at various location around the state….
St. Paul’s wins Fontainebleau meet
The St. Paul’s boys won the team title with 156 points at the Andy Thiel Invitational track meet held at Fontainebleau High School on March 20….
Skippers beat Ponchatoula in extra innings, 4-3
It took extra innings, but the Mandeville baseball team was not going to let this one get away….
Locals swim at state short course meet
St. Paul’s junior swimmer Griffin Guzman won the Open 200-yard butterfly event at the Louisiana Short Course State Swimming Championships in Sulphur on March 5-8….
People in the News…
Pets find new homes at Woofstock…
Woofstock 2015, the St. Tammany Humane Society’s 26th annual low-cost veterinary clinic and fundraising festival, drew more than 1,500 participants for a day of fun at the Castine Center. New this year was the Mega Pet Adoption Event, where almost 100 shelter animals were adopted by area families. For more information on the STHS, visit www.sthumane.org.
Off to the races with the Cub Scouts…
The Bogue Tuchenna District of the Boy Scouts of America (BSA) held its District Pinewood Derby on Feb. 28, when approximately 70 Cub Scouts debuted their handmade derby racers. Held at St. Timothy on the North Shore United Methodist Church, the annual event was for area Cub Scouts in grades 1-5. For more information about the local BSA, call 264-0878 or visit www.btbsa.org.
More headlines from this week’s print edition…
• Lacombe rezone requests headed to Parish Council for final decision
• PIO hired for DA’s Office
• Parish Council orders staff to fix Brewster Road zoning map error
• Health officials set public meeting on recent probe at Primate Center
• St. Tammany school system passes accreditation review with flying colors
• Our Back Yard: Faith Bible opens Rosenwald Center
• SPS baseball scores seven late to top Northlake Christian, 10-3
• Volz pitches, hits Hannan softball over NCS
• Hawks use offense to win three in baseball tournament
• SSA tennis shuts out CHS
• FHS boys, Mandeville girls winners in tennis matches
• Hernandez lifts FHS by Demons
• Lions’ baseball wins two, loses one at home
• FHS’ long week highlighted by 11-1 win over Slidell
• SSA softball loses two in tournament, wins three others
• NCS baseball team wins two out of three in tournament
• SPS, Mandeville dominate 6-I All-District team
• Lakeshore soccer stars named MVPs
• Lombard, Reilly, Scholvin honored on 6-5A hoops team
• Mandeville lacrosse beats Holy Cross on Senior Night
• Lambert resigns as head football coach at Hannan High
• Run with Girl Scouts at Thin Mint Sprint April 11
• Plan for Easter fun at Kids’Town Eggstravaganza
• Lions Club car show April 11
• Abita Springs Whole Town garage sale is Saturday
• Tennis tourney for aneurysm awareness is April 13
• Register now for Senior Olympic Games events
• Meet astronaut Charles Duke at breakfast April 10
• Pearl River egg hunt is April 4
• Enjoy Easter fun with NFHF
For more photos and story details, purchase a copy of The Farmer at one of our retail locations or start a subscription and receive The Farmer weekly by mail. You can also view and purchase digital downloads of many of our photos (front page, community and select sports) by clicking here.